What Do I Think I Will Learn from this Course?



    
This is my goose Miracle. We raised her from a gosling and she followed us around everywhere. She loved to run beside us before taking off into flight. She got along with our cat General better than we ever could have hoped, pecking his neck and tail and then running off to hide under the porch swing before being pounced. It was an intriguing and nerve wrecking friendship. I swear I thought one of them was going to take it too far every time. A stray dog wandered into our yard one night while she was sleeping and got her. It was sad for everyone when we found the feathers, but the unique friendship I witnessed between a cat and a Canada goose is a large part of why I am taking comparative psychology, and why I am so excited to begin research at the aquarium.

 From comparative psychology I expect to learn lots about animal behavior and ways to observe and study it effectively from a scientific standpoint.  I have grown up with animals my whole life, and have always thought of them as family. I hope this class will help me anthropomorphize less and view animal behaviors more realistically. I expect that we will leave with a better understanding of the motivations behind behaviors, and more practice analyzing those behaviors. In addition I expect that it will help me be able to analyze and comprehend different animal research designs, as well as help me in my work at the Tennessee Aquarium assisting in research.








Our cat General and Miri the goose. 


Comments

Popular Posts