communication

   
     This post is coming to you later than usual because I've not been feeling well, so I'll try to make it extra entertaining to make up for it. As I read the chapter on communication I began to wonder about how early humans communicated. I know we used cave walls to preserve history in paintings but what I want to know is before the development of language did we also have something similar to the waggle dance for when we learned information about an animal we were hunting or found berries that weren't deadly? Maybe we just motioned for our tribe to follow and lead them. I kind of wonder why bees don't do that, since their waggle dance doesn't seem to be very effective in telling more than general direction and distance without odor cues. Maybe the hunter bees get tired. I bet flying is hard.
It's hard to know exactly how humans communicated before the written language was developed. I kind of wonder how language developed at all. Considering how similar we are to apes its probably better to look at what monkey type creatures do than bees. Perhaps language started with different calls for different predators like the vervet monkeys use and developed into more complex things. While reading about the signals relation to body type and size the book said that "the frequency of a vocalization, or its pitch, is often negatively related to body size." It talked about how their larynx is longer the bigger they are which means they can do different things sound wise based on their physiology. That made me wonder if the reason humans developed speech the way we did is only because of our physiology, and wonder if it's not more complex than animals speech, but the only one I can understand. Humans make mistakes all the time. Maybe the waggle dance is accurate and the bees searching for the food just aren't great at finding it for their own reasons not for the dance being inaccurate. I guess we'll have to do more bee tagging studies to truly know.

Comments

  1. Intersting thoughts on the origin of human communication. I also believe we probably had motion cues to signal things. Also I think you're right about the various signals of the vervet monkeys. we probably started off with a few different vocal signs and then created more over time. Sometimes I wonder about the future and evolution of animals and their intelligence. For example, if we continue training dogs for the next 500,000 years, will they be able to talk? Same for other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored your post. I find the whole idea incredibly fascinating! You've quickly sparked my interest. My anthropology class never went over the most primitive form of communication between people, and I kind of wonder if a history of language or early man class might go into depth on this topic. It would be incredibly interesting to know. I agree with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what makes our language so different is that we have more cognitive abilities. While primates show some cognitive ability, their main drives are food, sex, and other primitive drives. While humans also have these needs, we also have wants, and words for those wants. I like that you mentioned cave paintings because I'm currently in Intro to Art and we discussed cave paintings in the Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic times. Many of the paintings were indeed to communicate and keep records of where food was and which animals they should be aware of. Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts